The benefits of a fiber-rich diet, along with the increased intake of B-vitamins and a wide variety of minerals, are undisputed. But don’t ignore how great whole grains taste—experiment with the exploding availability of interesting rice blends, unique pastas, and grains like barley.
- To make pilaf, heat 2 teaspoons oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add barley and fennel seed; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes longer or until lightly browned and aromatic.
- Stir in chicken broth and salt; reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 to 5 minutes per side or just until browned and no longer pink in center.
- Stir preserves, ginger, garlic, and vinegar into skillet; cook and stir until chicken is coated with sauce.
- Serve chicken with sauce, sprinkled with green onions.