Encourage your family to give suspect root vegetables a test drive, under the guise of a comforting plate filled with golden chicken, mashed “potatoes”, and a buttery pan sauce.
- Place rutabaga in large saucepan; cover with water (enough to also cover the potatoes when you stir them in); add 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes. Add potatoes to pan; simmer 20 minutes longer or until vegetables are very tender. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to skillet; sauté 8 to 10 minutes, turning once, until golden brown and no longer pink in center. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- Add mushrooms and shallots to skillet; sauté 5 minutes or until mushrooms are browned and tender. Stir in wine; simmer about 1 minute. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, stirring until melted.
- Mash the hot rutabaga and potatoes with potato masher in pan until almost smooth. Stir in enough buttermilk to make mixture creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken with mushrooms and pan juices spooned on top, alongside the mashed vegetables.