Shortcut the glaze by using already-ground coriander and cumin – though the aroma and flavor of toasting the whole spices really boosts the taste quotient. The wheat berry dressing is a great way to use a whole grain. In the time it takes to roast the chicken, the wheat berry nuggets can cook to chewy tenderness.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Tie chicken legs with kitchen twine; tuck wings under. Place on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush with butter; season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast coriander and cumin seeds in small, dry saucepan. Grind in a spice grinder or mortar & pestle. Add apricot spread, orange and lemon juices to saucepan with spices. Cook over low heat until well blended.
- After 20 minutes, begin brushing the chicken with orange glaze. Continue every 10 minutes until juices run clear (when internal temperature in thigh reaches 165°F), about 35 minutes longer.
- To prepare dressing, heat oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté onion for 3 minutes. Stir in wheat berries; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer about 55 minutes or until wheat berries are chewy tender. Stir in pistachios and apricots. Serve with chicken.